St George the Martyr, Goodwood
THE CHURCH, BEING THE CHURCH, DOES NOT KEEP THE SAME YEAR AS THE SECULAR WORLD. We don’t start our year on 1 January, and that date was not even considered the start of the year in many places until only a few centuries ago – many places once considered 25 March the start of the year, the date of the conception of Our Lord. We start our year with Advent, the time of preparation for Christmas. So, as we start to approach the end of the year our calendar starts to contemplate the otherworld, angels and the departed.
Last Sunday we had the first of these feasts with the great feast of Michaelmas, or the more long-winded title of St Michael and all the Angels. Our Western tradition mentions three archangels: Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, from the Scriptures. Eastern tradition also holds that Uriel is one of the Archangels from some rather obscure fringe writings and some are even prepared to attempt to name three more, giving a total of seven.
Angels are beings of pure spirit, unlike humans who have bodies. The Gospels make a point that when Our Lord rose from the dead he had a body – he was some spirit or angel. When humans die, they don’t transform into angels – we are different species. That’s why when someone says that so and so is no angel you can always agree without any worry of heresy – no one turns into an angel!
On 2 October we also remember a secondary feast of the angel’s, the feast of guardian angels. Our Lord specifically mentions the individual angels of children, and from that has grown the belief that each of us has a specific angel who helps and guards us. For those of you who have ever read the great and amusing Anglican classic “The Screwtape Letters,” by C. S. Lewis, and dedicated to his friend J. R. R. Tolkien, the writer of the “Lord of the Rings,” you will understand the duties of the other side of the guardian angels, the guardian demons.
Then on 5 October we celebrate St Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of those other created beings, animals. We will be blessing pets at the 10 am mass the following Sunday, 10 October. After mass I will be burying in our garden grounds the ashes of any pets that people may want to be placed here.
The month will conclude with the feast of All Saints which we keep on the first Sunday of November, and the feast of All Souls on 2 November. So, our minds contemplate the departed and our own mortality.
We also have in our magazine this month an article on our first Rector, William Moore, by Emily Harding. Our parish goes back into the 1880s and Mr Moore, as the clergy were then known, established the congregation that evolved into our parish,
News from the Parish
We will say goodbye this month to Anne Pickhaver, who is moving to England to live with son, Tom, and family there. I would like to thank her for her great contribution to the parish over many years: with her late husband Mark they have solidly worked and contributed to the parish. Blessing for your journey and may you enjoy many years with your grandchildren.
There have been no changes to our covid restrictions, so only consecrated bread and not wine can be given at communion, masks must be worn inside the church even when singing, we need to space ourselves, and we have to sign in. We are singing at the 10 am mass, but we have to wear masks even for that.
In NSW the authorities were initially going to allow only fully vaccinated people to go to churches – however, they have back-tracked on that now. At the moment, there is no talk about restricting anyone coming to church besides the usual restrictions.
On 2 November we have the great feast of All Souls, when we remember the dead and pray for the repose of their souls. There will one requiem mass that day at 10 am. Please write any names you want remembered on the list available at the back of the church. Note that all who died in the last twelve months should already be on the list – check before adding them again.
I always love the beautiful prayer we use at requiems after the communion:
O LORD JESUS CHRIST, Son of the living God, set your passion, cross and death between your judgment and our souls, now and in the hour of our death. Grant mercy and grace to the living, rest to the departed, to your Church peace and concord and to us sinners forgiveness, and everlasting life and glory; for, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, you are alive and reign, God, now and for ever. Amen.
Last Sunday in the Month Studies
A reminder that we have, when allowed by the restrictions, a study on the last Sunday of each moth. One of our lay readers, Timothy Hender, led the last two on the Letter to the Ephesians. The next one will be on 31 October, on the crucifix, when I will look at the design and symbolism of the Western and Russian crucifix.
Our Lady Chapel altar and two copes have been returned from the David Roche Foundation, after a loan to them for a recent exhibition. We are blessed at St George’s with a wonderful depository of treasures, that are being increasingly well known in the wider community.
During September we also had our Voitre Marek works photographed by the Marek family to enter into a website of his works. After the recent exhibition at the Art Gallery the appreciation of these works has grown, and their value as well!
William Samuel Moore – Our First Rector
In the beginning, in early September 1880, a meeting was held at the home of Mr W. Bishop (where the Capri Cinema now stands) to discuss the building of an Anglican church in the neighbourhood. This was soon agreed. Land on the southern corner of Goodwood Road and Victoria Street was given by Mr George Mills and on October 8, 1881 the foundation stone of the new church was laid with the church opening for worship on January 12, 1882.
Services had been held previously. At the first one on September 19, 1880, at the home of Mr Bishop, one of those assisting was the Reverend William Samuel Moore, then a deacon, who in due course would become the first rector of the Church of St George the Martyr, Goodwood.
Civil engineer, Schoolmaster, Priest
Born in Ireland on July 12, 1830, Moore trained as a civil engineer, but he worked as a teacher in Cumberland in England for 13 years before coming to South Australia in 1861. His wife Elizabeth was born in 1834 and probably came from St Austell in Cornwall. She may have been a dress and stay (corset) maker but she eventually took up teaching duties.
In 1861 Moore accepted the appointment as headmaster of Pulteney Street Schools, now Pulteney Grammar. At this time there were two schools, one for boys and one for girls. Moore’s wife Elizabeth undertook the running of the girls’ school as had several women before her. (Girls had been enrolled since the inception of the school in 1848 and, apart from a brief period, continued to be students until 1884 when the enrolment of girls ceased at the time of Moore’s retirement). When Moore began work at Pulteney there were 11 boys at the school. The school had been struggling to survive at that time and headmasters had not lasted long. A house was built for the new headmaster in the grounds of the school thus giving Moore a considerable amount of time outside of school hours in which to interview parents of present and prospective scholars. By the beginning of 1863 the school boasted 190 children and at the end of 1869 there were 260 boys and 39 girls on the books. (A photo taken c1884 shows Elizabeth Moore with an assistant teacher and 16 girls). Moore’s time as headmaster at Pulteney was no sinecure. He was expected to undertake a multitude of duties such as the collection of school fees, the maintenance and cleaning of the premises and the training of monitors to be teachers, duties which today would be delegated to others. He ensured that the students’ studies met examination standards, thus satisfying the requirements of the trustees of the school.
A biography of Moore held in the archives of Pulteney Grammar School assesses him as “one of the great headmasters of Pulteney Street School.” Described as a natural teacher, he came to the headmastership at a time when the School had experienced several difficult years. His appointment proved to be a stabilising influence. He re-established good relations with the Trustees and introduced a broad and sound curriculum under which the School flourished, despite the introduction by the Government, in 1875, of secular education that was compulsory and almost free. So concerned was he for the wellbeing of students that he would waive school fees rather than summarily dismiss a student if the parents were unable to pay. The affection and esteem in which he was held by students is evidenced by the fact that old scholars referred to themselves as “Moorites,” and that in 1883 he was presented with a purse of gold sovereigns and an illuminated address which expressed the “love and affection of past students.”
Moore retired from the school for reasons of health in 1884. While at the school he had been ordained deacon in 1880 and priest in 1883, and during this time had undertaken curacies at St Luke’s, Whitmore Square, St Bartholomew’s, Norwood, and St John’s, Halifax Street, in addition to his headmaster’s duties, so when appointed Rector of St George’s in March 1884 he was not unfamiliar with parish ministry. In addition to St George’s, his appointment included the incumbencies of St Mary’s, South Road, and Christ Church, O’Halloran Hill. He lived in the rectory at South Road and travelled by horse and buggy between his three churches. (It was not until 1907 that the rector of St George’s was able to live on site in the newly built rectory).
From all accounts, St George’s was a parish “in good heart” during Moore’s time there. In the year he arrived a building was erected to the south of the church known as St George’s School. This seems to have been for the accommodation of Sunday School children who numbered more than 100. This must have been gratifying to Moore with his teaching background. Parish activities included an Annual Sunday School Festival & Flower Service and regular fetes and concerts to raise money for the church or missions. The Ministering Children’s League raised funds to support children in India. A Mother’s Union group met monthly and St George’s Literary Society flourished. The church held about 200 people and the goodly attendance meant that upon Moore’s retirement the desirability of building a new church came to the fore. In keeping with the observances of the time, Morning and Evening Prayer were the main services of the day with Holy Communion being celebrated once a month and on major festivals.
Finances appear to have been reasonably sound with a considerable portion of income being derived from pew rents. Extensions to the church were undertaken in 1893, and this at a time of severe financial depression. A contemporary report describes the interior of the new building as having “…a light and pleasing appearance very different to what it was a few months ago…the pews are of oregon, well polished and comfortable…the walls [are] beautifully coloured in cream and sea-green with a suitable dado and stencilled border in oils, and the ventilation and lighting are all that can be desired.”
Although the break with the school seems to have given Moore a new lease of life, the care of three churches was a heavy workload for a man whose health was not robust. A son born in 1865, William Alfred Moore, also became a priest and assisted his father much of the time between 1893 and 1897. Educated at St Peter’s and St Barnabas’ Colleges in Adelaide, William Alfred was ordained to the priesthood in 1894. In 1898 he married Kate Leslie Frances Roe. He went on to have extensive ministry in South Australia including a period between 1904 and 1911 as a teacher at Glenelg Grammar School. In 1900 his father resigned from the incumbencies of St Mary’s and Christ Church, intending to devote himself to St George’s. However, he suffered a stroke and eventually died in July 1901 at the age of 71. He is buried in the cemetery at St Mary’s, South Road, as is his wife Elizabeth, who died on April 11, 1903. They left behind a daughter in addition to their son.
A stone in the floor of the baptistry of St George’s commemorates the Reverend William Samuel Moore with the inscription: “In loving remembrance of William Samuel Moore Rector of the Parish A.D. 1884-1900.” And the esteem in which he was held is well-expressed in his obituary which appeared in The Advertiser of 18 July 1901. This reads in part: “The many friends of the Rev. W. S. Moore will learn with the deepest regret of his death at Millswood on Wednesday…Hundreds of citizens who, as boys, received their educational training at his hands, and thousands of people with whom he was brought into personal contact in other ways, will mourn the departure of a loving and gentle spirit, a wise counsellor, and a true friend.”
8.00 am Mass
10.00 am Solemn Sung Mass
Monday Fr Scott’s Day Off
Tuesday 10.00 am Mass,
followed by gardening
Wednesday 8.00 am Mass
Thursday 12 noon Mass
Friday 8.00 am Mass
Saturday 8.00 am Mass
Consider giving to the church; our bank details are
BSB 105033 account 151992640
Please put “offering” in the description if that is the purpose.
2 The Guardian Angels
3 PENTECOST 19
5 Francis of Assisi, Friar, Deacon, Founder of the Friars Minor, 1226 (from 4)
5 Augustus Short, First Bishop of Adelaide, 1883
6 William Tyndale, Translator of the Scriptures, Martyr, 1536
7 Blessed Virgin of the Rosary
9 Denys, Bishop of Paris and his Companions, Martyrs, c258
9 Robert Grosseteste, Bishop of Lincoln, Philosopher, Scientist, 1253
9 John Henry Newman, Priest, Teacher, Tractarian, 1890
10 PENTECOST 20
11 Ethelburga, Abbess of Barking, 675
12 Elizabeth Fry, Prison Reformer, 1845
12 Wilfrid of Ripon, Bishop, Missionary, 709
13 Edward the Confessor, King of England, 1066
15 Teresa of Avila, Teacher of the Faith, 1582
16 Hugh Latimer, Bishop of Worchester and Nicholas Ridley, Bishop of London, Martyrs
17 PENTECOST 21
19 LUKE, EVANGELIST AND MARTYR (from 18)
24 PENTECOST 22
24 United Nations, Inaugurated 1945
26 Alfred the Great, King of the West Saxons, Scholar, 899
26 Cedd, Abbot of Lastingham, bishop of the East Saxons, 664
28 SIMON AND JUDE, APOSTLES AND MARTYRS
29 James Hannington, Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa, Martyr in Uganda, 1885
31 PENTECOST 23
31 Martin Luther, 1546 and other Continental Reformers
2 ALL SOULS
3 Richard Hooker, Priest, Anglican Apologist, Teacher of the Faith, 1600
4 Charles Borromeo, Archbishop of Milan, Reformer, 1584
5 Laying of Foundation Stone of 1st Church 1882?
6 William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury, Teacher, 1944
7 ALL SAINTS (from 1)
8 Saints, Martyrs, Missionaries and Teachers of the Anglican Communion
9 Margery Kempe, Mystic, c1440
10 Leo the Great, Bishop of Rome, Teacher of the Faith, 461
11 Martin, Bishop of Tours, c397
11 Armistice Day
13 Charles Simeon, Priest, Evangelical Divine, 1836
13 Benedictine Saints
14 PENTECOST 25
14 Benedictine Souls
16 Margaret, Queen of Scotland, Philanthropist, Reformer of the Church, 1093
16 Edmund Rich of Abingdon, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1240
17 Hugh, Bishop of Lincoln, 1200
18 Elizabeth of Hungary, Princess of Thuringia, Philanthropist, 1231
19 Hilda, Abbess of Whitby, 680
19 Mechtild, Béguine of Magdeburg, Mystic, 1280
20 Edmund, King of the East Angles, Martyr
20 Priscilla Lydia Sellon, Restorer of the Religious Life in the Church of England, 1876
21 CHRIST THE KING
22 Cecilia, Martyr at Rome, c230
23 Clement, Bishop of Rome, c100
24 Andrew Dung-Lac, 1839 and the martyrs of Vietnam
25 Catherine of Alexandria, Martyr, 4th Cent.
25 James Noble, first indigenous Australian ordained, 1941
25 Isaac Watts, Hymn Writer, 1748
28 ADVENT 1
29 Day of Intercession and Thanksgiving for the Missionary Work of the Church
30 ANDREW, APOSTLE AND MARTYR